Are you looking to protect your home with the latest “smart home” technology, but don’t know where to start? Home Controls suggests several innovative starter systems that can give you the basics you need to start monitoring your home, your family and your life. We’ve picked kits that are ideal for do-it-yourself installations, and easily expand to suit your family’s needs. Here are five security starter kits from leading smart home brands.
Skylink has just released the new SkylinkNet System, and it’s already creating a lot of buzz. The SkylinkNet Connected Home Alarm System is a smart and affordable D.I.Y. home alarm/alert system. Remotely arm and disarm the system with your smartphone or tablet! If a sensor is triggered, you can automatically be informed with a push notification on your phone. With the Skylink App, you have full control and can see the status of your alarm sensors while you’re at home, at work or on vacation.
- No Monthly Fees: Affordable home alarm system for everyone with no monthly fees and long-term contracts.
- Expandable: Works with up to 100 wireless sensors/controllers and 10 wireless cameras.
- Video Monitoring: With wireless cameras, monitor your home via live streaming videos and record directly to your mobile device.
SkylinkNet can be combined with SkylinkHome to provide additional home automation features. Integrate SkylinkHome receivers and control them remotely, on a schedule or with the Skylink App.
- More Details @ Home Controls: SkylinkNet Connected Home Alarm System
Oplink set out to revolutionize the home security industry, and did just that. Say goodbye to lengthy contracts with unreliable big-brand providers. Oplink Security provides a simple plug-and-play technology that connects to the cloud, so you can check on your home and have peace of mind anytime, without high costs or complexity.
If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can check on your home’s security from anywhere in the world with the Oplink Wireless Home Security System. Bring up live video feeds, receive automatic security alerts and more – all through Oplink’s free mobile app. This do-it-yourself kit is easy to install and does not require a paid subscription for basic service (premium plans available).
- View and record multiple video feeds
- Monitor doors, windows, and more
- Monitor a large area for motion
- Sound an alarm and auto-record when a sensor is triggered
- Arm/disarm system with mobile app or keyfob remotes
- Plug and play devices auto-enroll with hub
Oplink is strictly a security system, which is perfect if you are not interested in home automation options.
- More Details @ Home Controls: Oplink TripleShield C2S6 Wireless Home Security System with 2 Cameras
Zipato is just cool. This is one of our most recommended systems because of its highly customizable and expandable smart home configurations. The Zipato Z-Wave Smart Alarm Kit, for example, includes everything you need to set up a wireless home security system that can be accessed through the Internet, and even remotely monitored with your smartphone. A free subscription to Zipato’s 24/7 monitoring service also provides immediate response if your security system is triggered. The Zipato Z-Wave Smart Alarm Kit comes with the main system controller (Zipabox), a motion sensor (Zipato Multi-Sensor Dual), a door/window sensor, and a wall-mount keypad with three RFiD key tags. The three accessories communicate with the Zipabox controller via Z-Wave wireless technology.
- Monitor one door/window and one area for motion
- Remotely arm/disarm with keyfob or smartphone
- Expand coverage with add-on sensors and accessories
- Includes subscription to 24/7 central station monitoring
The Zipabox main unit has built-in Z-Wave capability, so you can mix and match security and home automation systems. As a modular controller, the Zipabox is customized simply by snapping on expansion modules. It’s that easy.
- More Details @ Home Controls: Zipato Z-Wave Smart Alarm Kit
Yes, we still have X10! The technology struggled a few years back, but is now going strong and remains one of Home Controls’ top sellers. We’ve even expanded our X10 collection to include a do-it-yourself X10 11-Piece Starter Security Kit. Perfect for mid-sized houses, apartments, small businesses, etc., the kit comes with a motion sensor and two door/window sensors. Place the motion sensor in a high traffic area, such as your living room, and monitor your front door and back door with the two door/window sensors. When a sensor is tripped, the included console activates the alarm.
- Kit includes console, motion detector, 2 door/window sensors, and more
- Console supports up to 32 zones of protection (30 X10, 2 wired)
- Activates siren and auto-dialer when alarm triggers
- Arm/disarm system via console, remote, or telephone
- Plug-n-play (no wiring required) and self-monitored (no monthly fees)
The X10 system is expandable, so you can add onto this kit as you wish.
- More Details @ Home Controls: X10 11-Piece Starter Security Kit
Home Controls is excited to offer the extremely popular 2GIG Go!Control system – and we think you’ll share in our excitement. Start with the 2GIG Go!Control 3-1-1 Kit, which includes a beautiful color touchscreen control panel with an intuitive user interface, plus one motion detector, three door/window sensors, and a convenient key chain remote. All components are wireless and easy to install for the average do-it-yourselfer.
- Wireless control panel with Z-Wave capability
- Door/window contacts monitor 3 open/close objects
- PIR motion detector has 30 x 50-ft sensing range
- Arm/disarm with panel or key ring remote
- Supports remote management/monitoring (requires additional devices)
- Includes DIY installation hardware
The system can easily be expanded to include more security devices, or even to control home automation systems. The 2GIG Go!Control panel works with any Z-Wave device so you can use Go!Control to manage Z-Wave and 2GIG security sensors, lights, locks, thermostats, appliances and more. Two hardwire zones also allow connection of third-party wired security sensors, sirens, modules, etc.
- More Details @ Home Controls: 2GIG Go!Control 3-1-1 Kit